About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Jobs for Deviants : Awful Library Books


My favorite part of this gem is not the 1970s bubble font used in the chapter headings but the long subtitle: “Odd Jobs: The World of Deviant Work: Confidence Men, Fences, Bookmakers, Safecrackers, Fortunetellers, Medical Quacks, Racketeers, Prostitutes, Strippers, Female Impersonators.” Maybe the connection between snake oil salesmen, mafia dons, and drag queens was more clear in 1978, but I don’t think these “deviant occupations” belong together in the same volume in 2011. I am also not sure whether Sociologists today would refer to sex work or female impersonation as “deviant.”
More at Awful Library Books
Thanks Bruce!

No comments: