About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wild Dogs



Six strangers gather every evening at the edge of the woods calling their dogs to come back to them, beloved dogs that have joined a wild pack and don't respond to this needy chorus. Kingston Ontario author, Helen Humphreys, tells us about these people who can't face their loss. This is a novel about loneliness and a fear of what lies within us all. One's heart, like a household pet, can turn feral and this creates enormous anxiety. Humphreys articulates the profound connection between people and their dogs. I was drawn to the diverse characters in this story, all of them lacking something essential, and couldn't put it down until I was finished.

No comments: